June 23, 2011

More From L.A. Pride










I really like the first picture of the Tibetan monk staring at the pride parade. Buddhism is just a beautiful, all-accepting religion, and I've felt an affinity towards it ever since I read the Dalai Lama's "The Art of Happiness." Also, it made me very proud to have so many Asians representing. I even saw a bunch of Korean pride signs that made my heart flutter with joy.

These are the last of the '11 Pride pictures. I tried uploading them all in my previous post, but I guess there's an image limit with Blogspot. With these set of pictures, I tried out some new PS techniques I learned: the curves target adjustment tool (genius!) and the curves presets, which I never even noticed. I also learned how to do a vignette on PS, something I only found out about because of the Camera Raw application. 

Speaking of Photoshop, it really is the bane and boon of my existence. How do you ever know if you've gone too far with your photos? I spend about four to six hours editing until my eyes feel like going on vacation forever, and then when I look at the post-produced images a day later, they look odd. Or not edited enough. Or both.

For example:



This is what it looks like when a vignette has gone wrong.

 

I realized this picture is much better without one because there's already too much going on in the scene.




This, I used a curves "darker" preset. I now know how those Instagram apps work. But it was so quick and easy -- just a menu scrolldown -- and bam! A much improved picture compared to the original.

 

What about when you crop without specific dimensions? My usual go-to is an 8x12. 

Julio recently suggested I try out Aperture or Lightroom since both are photography-specific as opposed to the graphics behemoth that is PS. More food for my brain, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2012 by Julie E. Kim. All rights reserved.